Sunday, October 4, 2009

Flirtatious Vehicle Escapades

Have you ever flirted with a car?

And I don't mean as in, used the car to flirt. Or actually flirt with the car. Or even flirt within or around the car. I meant flirt while driving your car. Flirt with other cars. Not the drivers, just the cars.

Maybe it's part of my road rage. Maybe I'm a person with some sort of bizarre out look on life. But I love flirting with my car. It's adrenaline pumping. It's mysterious.

Some people race random strangers at stop lights for the victory. For the contest. Because we are all born and raised to want that winning spot at the top. Or, at least we're taught this at some point in life. Told it if even just with a bit of subtlety.

I race them for the car. For the feeling of speed and wanting to impress this other car, if the car is up to my standards. It needs to be a car I love, a car I admire, a car I want. Or else I'll be completely uninterested.

Of course it's been a year or two now since I've raced another car. Since I've 'flirted' with another car.

It's such a disconnection of feeling, of body. It isn't a human being. It's not really flirting, because it's a dangerous thing to do. A lot of people do it out of competition, which raises stress and sometimes can cause anger and frustration. But to me, it felt exhilarating. I loved it. I loved swerving through traffic after another car. Just because the car was beautiful and moving so smoothly and so swiftly through lines of traffic.

The other days, I was put in a position where it felt like me and the car before me were involved in a game of 'Chicken' my lane was closed off and I couldn't see oncoming traffic from over the hill. So I went for it, and as it happens, this other car come down.

It was a beautiful racer. Bright blue, the colour I want my Subaru Impreza wrx. And, although unintentionally, it gave me that adrenaline rush as I swerved out of the way to safety (and safely, of course). It was such an odd moment, such an odd realization, what I had just unwillingly felt and foregone. And how it's such an odd thing to think. I don't need to see a driver. Or think of one. The cars are always just cars. They don't have drivers. They're beautiful and fast and strong and they purr when they race through the streets. Speeds that cut through air.

I'm in love with speed that can cut air....

No comments: